Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ghost Crab 6x6 oil painting


Day 10 in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.
This little guy has been a lot of trouble! When we found him on the beach early one morning, he was so cute--ghost crabs are nocturnal, so he probably wouldn't have been out for much longer. He was so still, I nudged him gently with my foot to be sure he was alive. He skittered a few inches away, but stayed facing me, ready to fight! Ghost crabs come in many colors, and although this one looked pretty pale when I photographed him, the picture actually showed blues, oranges and yellows. What was I thinking, trying to paint a critter with eight legs and two claws??? A ways into the painting, I realized I had given him an extra leg! I actually considered leaving it. ;) For a little creature, he can do a lot of damage--one thing he feeds on is turtle hatchlings. :( Painting him larger would have been easier--a lighter beach background would have been better. Oh, well! Another learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment