Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Motown Blues


Day 24 in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. Watercolor, 6"x6". I love Detroit! I was born there and lived there until I was six, when my family moved a little north and east on the St. Clair River. I have wonderful memories of Detroit, especially the Thanksgiving Day parade downtown, hosted by J.L. Hudson, the large department store. It was at Hudson's that we would go through "Toyland" on our way to see Santa. I remember outings to beautiful Belle Isle Park, where the conservatory was my favorite. Detroit has four sports teams, all with loyal fans. It was heartbreaking to see Detroit, and a lot of Michigan, go downhill with the downfall of the big automakers, all of which, thankfully, have recovered. It was sad to see the hits and artists of Motown fall out of popularity, with the Beatles and Rolling Stones and other British bands. Then on to hard rock, heavy metal, Disco, etc. Late 50's and early 60's is still my favorite music period. The good news is that Detroit is making a comeback--it will be different, but I hope it will be as beautiful and vibrant a city as it once was.
Price

2 comments: