Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Chicory 6"x6" watercolor


Day 16 in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. Chicory is my favorite wildflower. It grows prolifically all up and down I-75 from Michigan to north Georgia. I've seen it in Virginia and North Carolina, visiting family, and in May I even saw it in Italy. In the midwest it literally grows like the weed it is. You see it along roadsides, where sometimes it is mowed down to a few inches high and it still blooms! Occasionally you'll see a white or pink variety, but the most common is blue, the prettiest blue I know. And it's where chicory coffee comes from. It's at its prettiest along the roadside and in fields, mixed with the white of Queen Anne's Lace. The blue is a real attention-getter, whether it's sunny or not.
This is the first time I've attempted to paint it. I'll have to work on finding the right blue. This one needs more contrast, I know. Both in the flower petals and in the negative space around it. I'll be trying again, in watercolors and oil and pastel.
Price

3 comments:

  1. Paula- you are doing such a great job with the watercolor. I know how difficult it can be at times. Most important is to have fun with it! Love those shades of green you have in the background, very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my biggest problem with w.c. is lack of patience! After doing the 6x6 oils alla prima, I want instant finished painting! I need to remind myself to let areas dry before going on. But it IS fun! :)

    I haven't put any of these watercolors on FB yet because I'm not crazy about them, but may go back and post some of them.

    ReplyDelete